Anxiety can be crippling. It can quickly shut you down and make any decision making processes nearly impossible. People say, “oh just take a breath it will be okay”. If only it were that easy. I used to take Xanax ODT (Orally Dissolving Tablets) for my attacks but it conflicts with one of my meds so I can’t take it anymore. That was a hard one to swallow so to speak. The Xanax helped me calm down quickly and helped me to not freak out the rest of the day. Now that I have to handle this on my own I have found a few things that do help me.
- Massage between me thumb and pointer finger for a few moments
- I tend to put things in order. It may sound weird, but it helps.
- Breath in deeply and out slowly. Think about the issue and when you really get down to it what is the worst that can happen? As Chow would say….”but did you die?”
- Pet your dog or cat. My dog knows when I am upset and tries to calm me down. Just the weight of him leaning against me helps.
- Understand that you are who you are. Maybe you aren’t the ideal you but you are the real you.
- Listen to some music. Whatever calms you down.
- Don’t drink alcohol or caffeine. This can make anxiety worse. If you have ADHD this could be problematic if you take a stimulant.
- Text someone you haven’t talked to in a while
- Go for a walk or run
- I run my finger tips across my lips – This calms me for some reason
- Try Calming Tea
Anxiety feels like it will consume you and sometimes it does for a short time, but it won’t last forever. It will get better. Talk with your doctor. Medication may help. Try to find ways to calm yourself. What works for me may not work for you. Each of us is unique and what we need varies. Just know there is only one of you for all time. Remember that when you are overwhelmed. You are here for a reason and you bring something unique to the table. Embrace your challenges and learn to overcome them. You can do this.
Categories: Blog Entries